Cotswold Canals Quiz - 2017
Thirty questions about the Stroudwater Navigation and the Thames & Severn Canal, or things related to them.
A PDF version of the quiz can be downloaded here, if preferred.
If needed, assistance with most of the answers might be found by searching the Cotswold Canals in Pictures website.
- A lock on the Stroudwater with a fish in it?
- Name three bridges on the Thames & Severn that have a colour in their name.
- What year did the Stonehouse & Nailsworth (Midland) Railway finally close?
- A Lock where cargo can be loaded & unloaded, apparently?
- Which monarch was on the throne when the Stroudwater Navigation was opened?
- How far is Inglesham from the new milestone installed at Capel's Mill in 2017?
- What year was the 'Upper Portion' of the Thames & Severn Canal abandoned?
- Rush Skate Park is currently based here?
- A bridge on the Thames & Severn that shares its name with a breed of dog?
- In what month in 1789 did the Thames & Severn Canal officially open?
- How many locks are there in the Eastington Flight?
- How many places has a railway (at any time) crossed the route of either canal? (Tricky!)
- How many locks are there with 'Siccaridge Wood' in the name?
- What year did the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal open?
- How many 'single' locks are there between Cricklade Wharf and Lechlade?
- Name of a long-demolished bridge on the Thames & Severn that was never straight?
- This infilled lock & bridge on the Thames & Severn was well attended on a Sunday, presumably?
- What is the distance in 'canal miles' from Wallbridge to the Daneway Portal of Sapperton Tunnel, according to the adjacent milestone (when the milestone plate was fitted)?
- What is the name of the Cotswold Canals Trust's trip boat based at Lechlade-on-Thames?
- A canal building with no corners?
- How long is the Sapperton Canal Tunnel; is it 153.5, 173.5 or 193.5 chains? (One chain equals 22 yards)
- How many locks were there at Siddington?
- How many 'in service' railway bridges are there on the two canals?
- How many double locks are there on the Thames & Severn Canal?
- No lifting gear required to get over this missing bridge at South Cerney?
- A lock on the Thames & Severn with some cured meat in it?
- Water can be seen 'roaring' through this lock in Chalford after prolonged periods of heavy rain?
- Whose Orchard can be found on the Thames & Severn?
- This swing bridge restored in 2012 is all at sea?
- Who designed the first Cornish-type beam engine to be used at the Thames Head Pumping station in 1794?
Note this quiz was first published by Cotswold Canals in Pictures in December 2014.